A Secret World of Patent Annuities?
Published on: 05 August 2015
Recent litigation has jolted the patent annuity world.
Frequently, annuity providers operate in a black box; what are the real annuity costs and are you receiving a fair price?
To bring greater transparency to the industry, Dennemeyer is hosting a webinar on August 26, 2015 at 12:00pm CDT - “Secret World of Patents: An expose of the opaque world of annuity economics.”
Patent benefits vs. the cost to maintain
Uncovering what the actual costs of patent maintenance is increasingly important as budgets get squeezed annually and transparency is stressed.
The estimated average lifespan of a U.S. patent is 11 years; a USPTO report stated that in FY2014, 50.7% of patents were renewed in the third stage (i.e. end of 11th year since patent issued). Though each patent is not too expensive to renew, when you take global maintenance of multiple patents into account, the cost to maintain a patent portfolio can grow exponentially.
Broadly, we understand that patents support and drive innovation, allow companies to gain a competitive edge, and bolster countries’ economies.
For example, a BIO report showed that over an “18-year time period [1996-2013] academic-industry patent licensing bolstered U.S. gross industry output by up to $1.18 trillion, U.S gross domestic product (GDP) by up to $518 billion, and supported up to 3,824,000 U.S. jobs.”
In 2012, the USPTO released a study that showed “IP-intensive industries accounted for about $5.06 trillion in value added, or 34.8 percent of U.S. gross domestic product (GDP), in 2010.”
These societal benefits from patents cannot be confused with the reality faced by the individual (corporate) patent holder and the cost-benefit analysis involved in portfolio management.
However, the balance of costs to benefits cannot be accurately analyzed when actual costs are obscured behind vague invoices. The annuity industry is under pressure to increase transparency.
This webinar will address the issues associated with industry transparency, although it will not discuss any particular litigation that has hit the legal blogs.
This need for clarity is what drives the webinar, “Secret World of Patents: An expose of the opaque world of annuity economics,” on August 26, 2015, at 12:00 pm CDT. Come peel back the curtain and learn how to analyze annuity payments accurately to ensure you get the best value.
The webinar will not only aid in your budget analysis, but will help support an accurate cost-benefit portfolio analysis for future growth. Learn more about the webinar and register; space is limited.
- INTA 2017 - Dennemeyer's Sailing Regatta
- Dennemeyer presents new brand at INTA 2017 in Barcelona
- The End of Plagiarism - Study "The future of Intellectual Property"
- Nice Classification news from Canada
- Dennemeyer & Associates is “IP Due Diligence Law Firm of the Year in Germany”
- Dennemeyer's Chicago office moves to a new location as of May 1
- IP & Data Protection: What do you need to know about the GDPR?
- Dennemeyer supporting young talent and innovation
- “Gold standard” kills “Essentiality test”
- Patent strategies for the Asean region
- Foundation for building a valuable business
- Dennemeyer & Associates Brazil is "IP Law Firm of the Year 2016" in Latin America